January 27, 2012

Health and safety in the workplace.


Yesterday, I felt like I was in The Office (the show).  Our “health and safety consultant” came in and assessed the safety of our workstations.  I declined an in-person assessment—I feel fairly confident that I can handle the danger level at my desk (though Claire versus clutter is a constant battle).  Bits from assessments that I eavesdropped:

-       Consultant: “Now show me how you normally sit in your chair.”  (Great opportunity to really freak the guy out.)
-       Consultant: “Did you know you could adjust the height of your chair?”
-       Other American Girl: “Oh my God, I get this lower back pain if I sit like this for too long.  Am I sitting the wrong way?  And I get this stiffness in my neck at around 4:00.  Do you think it’s my chair?”

So then today, everyone who declined the in-person assessment (this was most people) received an email containing a 10-page “Workstation Self-Assessment Checklist” which we are required to fill out and return.


...Maybe I should have opted for the in-person assessment.

Best part of self-assessment packet:

Proper way to sit...or naked man with laser vision???


"Before I do anything, I ask myself, 'Would an idiot do that?'  And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." 
—Dwight K. Schrute

No comments:

Post a Comment