In Catholic news this morning, the little church I go to here has switched to the new English translation of the Mass. Everybody freak out! This means that pretty much the same thing is being said as before, just in slightly different words. Vatican’s just trying keep everyone on their toes. I’m not sure how I feel about this—I was pretty comfortable with the old words. I’m actually inclined to say that this is a major pain. And considering that it took me about 5 years of going to church every Sunday to finally not be surprised at that point in the Mass when we pray for Pope Benedict XVI instead of for John Paul II, I imagine it is going to take me some time to adjust to these changes. I also think a huge drawback of the new translation is the new response to “May the Lord be with you.” Instead of “And also with you”, it is “And with your spirit.” (Really, monk-scribes??) This is a major shame. Every Catholic in the world, when watching Star Wars, has this gut instinct to reply to “May the Force be with you” with a nice “And also with you.” Young Catholics will never know this joy. I guess they’ll say, “And with your spirit”, but it just doesn’t seem to have the same ring to it.
In other news, today is ten years since 9/11. This is probably not news to anyone in America, but I haven’t really heard too much mention of it here. There was an article in the paper on the tube about the London office of Cantor Fitzgerald, and that was a little tough to read. I also heard about a few radical Muslim groups burning an American flag outside the US embassy here today during a moment of silence (really, dudes? Unnecessary.) Other than that, just a special intention at church this morning has been all I’ve heard. Then again, we don’t have TV, so maybe it would be different if we did. But I’ve been reading a bunch of articles this week about it, and somehow it hits me way harder now than it did ten years ago. I think the reality of losing someone close is just way, way scarier now, for some reason. Basically what I’m trying to say is that I love you guys, don’t go away.
Anyways, that will probably be the most serious thing written in this blog, so not to worry—non-depressing posts from here on out!
No comments:
Post a Comment